Breast augmentation also called augmentation mammoplasty, has the purpose to increase the size of small or undeveloped breasts.
The surgery can also restore and increase the volume of your breasts, if it has decreased after you have become a mother.
The purpose of the breast augmentation surgery is to increase breasts by introducing a mammary implant with a view to obtaining a more beautiful shape in harmony with body proportions.
In order to have this surgery done there are several steps to be taken:
• surgical consultation with the doctor
• pre-operative blood tests
• breast echography
• cardiology and anaesthesia consultation
• post-operative consultations
In our clinic we use only cutting edge Motiva and Mentor cohesive gel implants
This type of implant is life guaranteed as a medical product, but this does not mean that the result of the surgery is “for a lifetime”, because of the physiological process of aging.
During the consultation, the surgeon presents all the types of implants
that can be used in your case.
The implants are always placed under the pectoral muscle and in the inferior part under the fascia of the serratus and the right abdominal muscle.
Immediately after surgery you will have an elastic binding and a bustier
which exert compression on the breasts.
The surgery is carried out under general anaesthesia and takes 60-90-minute, depending on the complexity of the case.
We only use absorbable threads and we do not use drains because we practice “dry” surgery under direct vision using the Ellman radiofrequency clamp, 30000 lux optical fiber endoscope, which allows the filming of the breast from the inside.
The implants are always placed under the pectoral muscle and in the inferior part under the fascia of the serratus and the right abdominal muscle. The suture of the deep plane is carried out on the thoracic wall – the VI-VII rib perichondrium – which allows perfect stability in time without the possibility for the “implant” to slide down and the scar to rise up to the inferior pole of the breast.
Immediately after surgery you will have an elastic binding and a bustier which exert compression on the breasts. 5 minutes after the surgery you can talk to the relatives and one hour after the surgery you can already walk.
The first day after the surgery you will remain admitted to our clinic under our staff supervision which is specialized in postoperative care and which will apply ice packs. The second morning the discharge is made and it will be the first time that you see your breasts (they will be swollen because of the postoperative edema), you will receive an antibiotic and a prescription for anti-inflammatory drugs, the implant guarantee and you will be discharged.
The first day after the surgery you will stay at home and apply ice on the breasts. The second day after surgery you can go back to your daily social activities. The first medical check-up is made 7 days after surgery when the elastic binding is removed and you keep only the bustier. There will be a second medical check-up after 14 days when you have the right to take a shower at the level of the breasts. The third medical check-up takes place 30 days later when the result of the surgery is assessed and you receive supplementary indications. The following medical check-ups will take place 3 months, 6 months and 1 year after the surgery when the breast is stabilized and the result is permanent.
The rules seems easy to follow but we draw attention to the fact that in the case of such surgery there is pain only in the first 2-3 days when you feel weight at the level of the thorax, which leads to the false sensation that you are healed and consequently to breaking the rules, which can cause post-operative complications:
– Haematoma – is a peri-implant collection of blood which leads most of the times to surgical reintervention, so: do not get hit!
– Seroma – is a peri-implant pocket of serous fluid caused by physical activity, it leads to echographic guided puncture, so: do not lift any weight!!
– Infection – it is very rare, under 0,2%, and can lead to explantation, this is why only patients with perfect blood test results, who do not have any active infections in their body can undergo the surgery.
– dehiscence – or splitting along sutured lines leads to a second suture which causes an inaesthetic scar, so: do not lift your elbow over the level of the your shoulder.
– hypertrophic and keloid scars – are those red raised scars which are caused by a genetic factor. You will receive cream for the cicatrization and prevention of this type of scars.
– Hypo or hypersensitivity – is the reduced or excessive sensitivity of the breast or nipples, it usually occurs at young persons, with tonic skin who want a big implant, it wears off by itself in 4-6 months after surgery.
– Capsular contracture – is a connective tissue sheath around the implant which can thicken in the case of some persons; it becomes contractile and presses on the implant and thus the breast becomes rigid on palpation. Medium cases can be treated with conservative treatment: massage, anti-inflammatory drugs, but in serious cases a new surgical intervention is required. For the implants used in our clinic, the incidence is under 1%.
There are 5 post-operative golden rules which must be thoroughly:
• Do not lift your elbow above the level of your shoulder and anything heavier than 3,5 kilograms for 45 days;
• Do not hit your breast for 45 days;
• Wear the bustier day and night for 45 days
• Sleep on your back for 30 days
• You may start working out, going to the gym, to tanning salons or sauna after 45 days.